[Alioth-staff-replacement] Notes from the salsa.d.o meeting

Alexander Wirt formorer at formorer.de
Fri Sep 29 11:50:59 UTC 2017

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alexander Wirt writes:
>
> > we had a meeting about the status and the next steps of salsa.d.o (git
> > replacement). Here are my notes of that meeting.
>
> Thanks!  Much appreciated.  I have a few questions though.
>
> BTW, I'm looking at this from the non-DD, non-Debian project admin POV.
> The project in question is the SANE project with 20 members, only one of
> which is a DD (judging from the account names), and 3 git repositories
> associated with the *single* project.  I don't know how the SANE project
> acquired this unusual repository setup on Alioth.  I just know that that
> is what we have and use.
>
> > [...] We won't reuse git.debian.org later. It will be turned into a
> > readonly archive with the deprecation of alioth.d.o.
>
> So this means "move someplace else or else" for any git using project on
> alioth.d.o, right?
Yes. Alioth is deprecated and will be dropped with the EOL of wheezy.

> > [...]
> > Timeline
> >
> > We decided about the following timeline
> >     -  fine tuning til 28th Oct
> >     - beta starting from Sunday 29th Oct til 25th Nov
> >     - GO Live 26th Nov
>
> Any (approximate) ETA on when git.debian.org becomes read-only?  Earlier
> mail on this list indicated that nothing would be moved automatically to
> weed out inactive projects IIRC, so I'd like to be able to get the SANE
> project's affairs in order ahead of time.
The timeline we proposed for mailinglists is probably more or less correct.

> # Moving Files is a bit of work but doable.  Moving Tracker items still
> # has me stumped.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> > [...]
> > Namespacing
> >
> > Subgroups can't have pages! Repos in Groups are fine. Therefore we will limit ourselfs to a flat hierarchy:
> >
> >     /debian/$repo <- collab-maint replacement
> >     /$name-team/$repo <- team repo
> >     /$login/$repo <- Debian Developer Repo
> >     /${login}-guest/$repo Non Debian Developer Repo
>
> How would this work out for a multi-developer, non-Debian project like
> ours with multiple repositories?  Something like
>
>   /sane-team/sane-backends
>   /sane-team/sane-frontends
>   /sane-team/website
>
> perhaps?
>
> # I'd much prefer a /sane/ or /sane-project/ instead of /sane-team/ but
> # realize quite well that I don't call the shots here ;-)
The toplevel group will get a prefix. If being -team, -project or something
else isn't finally decided. We don't care if the owners of the toplevel
project are DDs or not. You can do whatever you want under your group. Create
as many repos as you like or create subgroups that can have other repos.
As long as you don't want pages in subgroup projects, you can do whatever you
like.

Does that answer your questions?

Alex