[Alioth-staff-replacement] Notes from the salsa.d.o meeting

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri Sep 29 11:07:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

Alexander Wirt writes:

> we had a meeting about the status and the next steps of salsa.d.o (git
> replacement). Here are my notes of that meeting.

Thanks!  Much appreciated.  I have a few questions though.

BTW, I'm looking at this from the non-DD, non-Debian project admin POV.
The project in question is the SANE project with 20 members, only one of
which is a DD (judging from the account names), and 3 git repositories
associated with the *single* project.  I don't know how the SANE project
acquired this unusual repository setup on Alioth.  I just know that that
is what we have and use.

> [...] We won't reuse git.debian.org later. It will be turned into a
> readonly archive with the deprecation of alioth.d.o.

So this means "move someplace else or else" for any git using project on
alioth.d.o, right?

> [...]
> Timeline
>
> We decided about the following timeline
>     -  fine tuning til 28th Oct
>     - beta starting from Sunday 29th Oct til 25th Nov
>     - GO Live 26th Nov

Any (approximate) ETA on when git.debian.org becomes read-only?  Earlier
mail on this list indicated that nothing would be moved automatically to
weed out inactive projects IIRC, so I'd like to be able to get the SANE
project's affairs in order ahead of time.

# Moving Files is a bit of work but doable.  Moving Tracker items still
# has me stumped.  Suggestions welcome.

> [...]
> Namespacing
>
> Subgroups can't have pages! Repos in Groups are fine. Therefore we will limit ourselfs to a flat hierarchy:
>
>     /debian/$repo <- collab-maint replacement
>     /$name-team/$repo <- team repo
>     /$login/$repo <- Debian Developer Repo
>     /${login}-guest/$repo Non Debian Developer Repo

How would this work out for a multi-developer, non-Debian project like
ours with multiple repositories?  Something like

  /sane-team/sane-backends
  /sane-team/sane-frontends
  /sane-team/website

perhaps?

# I'd much prefer a /sane/ or /sane-project/ instead of /sane-team/ but
# realize quite well that I don't call the shots here ;-)

Thanks in advance,