[Alioth-staff-replacement] IRC meeting for alioth list replacement: tomorrow 17:00-18:00 UTC

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Tue Jan 2 18:28:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 02:36:38PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Apologies for the short notice, but I wanted to fit this in before the
> end of the holiday season.
> Anyone interested in helping out with the plan described at
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/MailingListContinuation>, including
> on the migration (ie existing alioth admins) and DNS/HTTP redirector
> (ie DSA) side, please join us on irc.debian.org #alioth-lists
> from 17:00 to 18:00 UTC tomorrow, 2nd January 2018.
> Notes will be made available for those unable to attend.

Here are the notes from today's meeting:

# Agenda

* Team intros
* MM2 suitability
* Infrastructure progress and plans
* Communications
* Migration - list data
* Migration - DNS changes and HTTP redirects
* Schedule
* Next steps

# Meeting notes

## Team Intros

* Dom: DD, pkg-perl (affected because of lots of lists). Used Mailman for a long time in smaller installations
* berni: DD, similar (pkg-voip and pkg-dns). Experience of Mailman w. Postfix
* alexm: DD, pkg-perl, similar concerns. Runs Mailman at work

## MM2 suitability

Noting concerns from the mailing list. Anything more than a straight migration gets much more complicated/long winded.

Definitely need something for one release cycle, beyond that is unclear. Probably have a need for low-barrier mailing lists afterwards though.
AGREED: sticking with MM2 makes sense for now because it makes the migration
straightforward and it's what the volunteer effort we have can do.

## Timescales

Probably more like April than February. Still better to do this sooner rather than later.

## Infra update

Dom - plans for setting up on his infra, with ansible

alexm happy to be a sysadmin

berni happy to be a sysadmin

MTA - maybe start with Dom's existing infra but better to copy this config across to the shared system

tweaking likely to be needed - eg strict pre-accept checks

IPv6: yes

Bandwith: shouldn't be an issue

DMARC/DKIM: probably not addressed currently, note might need attention later. But VERP is on

Current lists use subject munging so would need to add mailman hack to rewrap probably if we needed to address this later.

Dom to check with formorer about current config details

## Communications

Plan: Get things up and running, mail d-d-a, mail list owners

Opt-in lists currently used as Maintainer fields - still an open question? Dom prefers to get explicit opt-in from all

What about EU GDPR issues? Run past leader@?

## Policies

Need to write some simple docs about the service

# Migration

Will need data sync access to current lists

Dom to try and get current alioth admin and DSA involved more

# Schedule/next steps

* Base system install [Dom, end of week]
* Migration of configs (mailman, exim)
* Mail to leader@ about data protection [alexm]
* Mail to formorer about current setup/update on plans [Dom]
* Draft announcement mails to d-d-a, list owners, et al. [alexm]
* Draft a simple front page for the service detailing what is being offered and related policies

More information about the Alioth-staff-replacement mailing list