[Android-tools-devel] Android Gradle Plugin

Markus Koschany apo at debian.org
Mon Feb 8 14:11:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm subscribed to android-tools-devel.

Am 08.02.2016 um 14:22 schrieb 殷啟聰:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thank you for the effort on the Java part of Android SDK!
>
> I would insist that the package should follow the naming and
> versioning conventions of the existing AOSP packages by Android-Tools
> team. For this source package, the name should be
> "android-platform-tools-base" and the version should be something like
> "6.0.0+r26-1".

Ok, I will rename the source package to android-platform-tools-base. I'm
not so sure with the versioning. I have checked out the studio-1.5 tag.
The build system uses

rootProject.ext.buildVersion = 1.5.0 (Android Studio version)
rootProject.ext.baseVersion = 24.5.0 (=> API)

The 6.0.0+r26-1 numbers seems to be more like an internal versioning
scheme. In my opinion we should either use the Android Studio release
numbers or the API version which would be in line with the official
releases from:

https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#Other

or the developers guide from

https://sites.google.com/a/android.com/tools/build

I would go with 1.5.0 in this case.

> We have a simple and unified way to fetch the upstream tarball. Please
> check out one of our packages, e.g. src:android-platform-libcore [1].

Thanks.

> AFAIK this repository needs a buildSrc from [2] to build. Did you also
> include this part into the upstream tarball? For now we have been
> making one package for exactly one repository instead of merging
> multiple repositories. Hence if I were you I would make another source
> package called "android-platfrom-tools-buildsrc" which produces
> "android-platform-tools-buildsrc-source" containing the Java codes or
> "libandroid-tools-buildsrc-java" containing the "buildSrc.jar".

I didn't need to package this repository but thanks for pointing it out
to me. In fact I only need build.gradle and settings.gradle from this
repo. I could create src:android-platform-tools-buildsrc and install the
gradle build files for instance into
/usr/share/android/android-platform-tools-buildsrc. I would still need
to copy these files into the build tree because they need some patches.

> And I am also wondering where are you going to maintain this package?
> pkg-java or Android-Tools team?

I think it makes sense to maintain all android-* packages as part of the
android-tools team and all generic packages like intellij-annotations,
that are useful across different packaging teams, in pkg-java.

Cheers,

Markus