[Android-tools-devel] Android Gradle Plugin

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 8 20:43:36 UTC 2016

Markus Koschany:
> Hi,
>
> I'm subscribed to android-tools-devel.
>
> Am 08.02.2016 um 14:22 schrieb 殷啟聰:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> Thank you for the effort on the Java part of Android SDK!
>>
>> I would insist that the package should follow the naming and
>> versioning conventions of the existing AOSP packages by Android-Tools
>> team. For this source package, the name should be
>> "android-platform-tools-base" and the version should be something like
>> "6.0.0+r26-1".
>
> Ok, I will rename the source package to android-platform-tools-base. I'm
> not so sure with the versioning. I have checked out the studio-1.5 tag.
> The build system uses
>
> rootProject.ext.buildVersion = 1.5.0 (Android Studio version)
> rootProject.ext.baseVersion = 24.5.0 (=> API)
>
> The 6.0.0+r26-1 numbers seems to be more like an internal versioning
> scheme. In my opinion we should either use the Android Studio release
> numbers or the API version which would be in line with the official
> releases from:
>
> https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#Other
>
> or the developers guide from
>
> https://sites.google.com/a/android.com/tools/build
>
> I would go with 1.5.0 in this case.

The versions/tags in the Android sources are painful.  There are many
different ones, and its not clearly documented.  I think you are correct
that the studio-1.5 tag is the one used for the core gradle plugin
stuff.  The open question is whether that studio-1.5 tag is available in
all of the git repos related to these packages.  That's why we ended up
going with the Android OS version tag (e.g. 6.0.0_r26): because it is in
all of the git repos, and it lines up to the various releases.

In case you haven't seen it, this is worth a quick read, or please add
anything you think should be there:
https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools#Android.27s_upstream_version_names

>> We have a simple and unified way to fetch the upstream tarball. Please
>> check out one of our packages, e.g. src:android-platform-libcore [1].
>
> Thanks.
>

>> AFAIK this repository needs a buildSrc from [2] to build. Did you also
>> include this part into the upstream tarball? For now we have been
>> making one package for exactly one repository instead of merging
>> multiple repositories. Hence if I were you I would make another source
>> package called "android-platfrom-tools-buildsrc" which produces
>> "android-platform-tools-buildsrc-source" containing the Java codes or
>> "libandroid-tools-buildsrc-java" containing the "buildSrc.jar".
>
> I didn't need to package this repository but thanks for pointing it out
> to me. In fact I only need build.gradle and settings.gradle from this
> repo. I could create src:android-platform-tools-buildsrc and install the
> gradle build files for instance into
> /usr/share/android/android-platform-tools-buildsrc. I would still need
> to copy these files into the build tree because they need some patches.
>

>> And I am also wondering where are you going to maintain this package?
>> pkg-java or Android-Tools team?
>
> I think it makes sense to maintain all android-* packages as part of the
> android-tools team and all generic packages like intellij-annotations,
> that are useful across different packaging teams, in pkg-java.

Sounds good to me.

.hc