[Android-tools-devel] replicant SDK into Debian

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Apr 27 14:19:16 UTC 2016

Paul Kocialkowski:
> Hi there, looks like I forgot to answer this in due time.
>
> Le jeudi 25 février 2016 à 23:19 +0100, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> Also, I don't know how closely you follow our Android Tools work in
>> Debian.  We've gotten a substantial chunk in already, and are getting
>> close to actually building apps with only Debian packages.
>
> Well, I've been a user of it, so one could say I've been following it, to some
> extent!
>
>> The big missing bit is the 'platform', i.e. ANDROID_HOME/platforms/android-20.
>> I think this is the bit where we should probably package the Replicant
>> source directly, and label it as such.  It would be great if you could
>> advise us on how you put together the Replicant SDK, and how we should
>> be including the platforms in Debian.
>
> Well, you might as well want to package the upstream AOSP SDK and remove the
> encouragements to install and use proprietary software from it, in a way similar
> to what Replicant does. I'm a bit attached to see upstream go in Debian, instead
> of Replicant.
>
> Note that Replicant doesn't move forward as fast as upstream, so it's probably
> better to keep track with AOSP for this reason, too.

So from your experience, we'll be able to package the full android-20
platform?  I.e. its all free software?  I expect to run into some
proprietary bits in the process of packaging the whole Android SDK.
Have you seen any?

At the very least, I want to make sure that the platform versions used
by Replicant are given priority in Debian over the rest.

.hc