[Android-tools-devel] package: android support m2 repository installer

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jun 27 18:48:37 UTC 2016

Chirayu Desai:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> wrote:
>

>> Checked out the new repo, two things:
>>
>> * when working on a package, you should only modify things in the
>> debian/ folder, the upstream sources need to be modified via patches.
>> There is a 'copyright' file in the root of the project
>>
>> * .gitignore should be moved to debian/.gitignore and then "debian/"
>> stripped from the paths in that file
>>
> I have had this question for a while, and was also thinking of adding
> gitignores to all our repos.
> Is it not preferable to add it to the root of the repo?
> Some packages leave artifacts there, and there's some generic debian build
> related things too.
> So would it be okay if I added a .gitignore to
> android-platform-frameworks-base, with it's contents being:
> aapt
> aidl
> libaapt.so
>
> etc.
>
> If not, then what should we do to ignore these files? Move them to another
> directory perhaps?

Like apo said, if you use git-buildpackage, then you don't really need
to worry about .gitignore  in the root of the project.  Also, when using
the standard git-buildpackage style like the android-tools team does,
modifications should only ever happen in the debian/ directory, never in
any of the 'upstream' folders.  Modifying the upstream source is done in
a patch, e.g. debian/patch/foo.patch.

I like adding debian/.gitignore since it makes it easier to commit with
a GUI client.

.hc