[Android-tools-devel] package: android support m2 repository installer

Chirayu Desai chirayudesai1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:52:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 9:06 PM Markus Koschany <apo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 27.06.2016 17:01, Chirayu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > <mailto:hans at at.or.at>> wrote:
> >

> >     Checked out the new repo, two things:
> >
> >     * when working on a package, you should only modify things in the
> >     debian/ folder, the upstream sources need to be modified via patches.
> >     There is a 'copyright' file in the root of the project
> >
> >     * .gitignore should be moved to debian/.gitignore and then "debian/"
> >     stripped from the paths in that file
> >
> > I have had this question for a while, and was also thinking of adding
> > gitignores to all our repos.
> > Is it not preferable to add it to the root of the repo?
> > Some packages leave artifacts there, and there's some generic debian
> > build related things too.
> > So would it be okay if I added a .gitignore to
> > android-platform-frameworks-base, with it's contents being:
> > aapt
> > aidl
> > libaapt.so
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > If not, then what should we do to ignore these files? Move them to
> > another directory perhaps?
>
> You don't usually need a .gitignore file for the Debian packaging. I
> suggest to build the "final" package with cowbuilder or sbuild in a
> clean chroot. A great tool for building packages and working with Git is
> git-buildpackage.

Those look nice, I knew about schroot, but have been slacking on using
those even after setting them up.
I'll use them from now, thanks!

> If you use debuild for regular package builds, I suggest to create a
> macro/shell alias that executes
>
> git checkout . --
> git clean -fd
>
> after the build. I would also check Debian's clean target whether it
> really removes newly created files when you try to build a second time
> in a row.

Oh yes, at least one of these was due to me, fixed by:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/android-tools/android-platform-frameworks-base.git/commit/?id=e9bbe9a9d6fd672cf38bf9e9799c7d5d67c1bc2f