[Android-tools-devel] updates to src:android-tools

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 23 09:33:43 UTC 2016

Fathi Boudra:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Fathi,
>>
>> Looks like you did some good work on the android-tools source package!
>> Can you update that package's git repo?  Join the android-tools team on
>> alioth if you need commit access.
>
> I had already commit access and the git repo has been updated before I
> uploaded the package :)
>
>> And for the record, we intent to provide all the packages in
>> src:android-tools via the new source packages.  adbd is the only one
>> that we might not get too since its not normally part of the Android
>> SDK.  But we'd be happy to integrate patches into the new source
>> packages to support building adbd.
>
> Sure. I wanted to address the 2 RCs bugs asap and will catch up on
> current state of affairs with the android-platform-system-core
> packaging and get ext4utils built from there, and mkbootimg.
> adbd is still an unsupported, experimental feature that a few people
> asked. I'm fine to keep it completely separated.

We welcome your contributions!  As for the android-tools source package,
you can manage it as you see fit since the rest of us don't touch it
anymore (as you noticed).

As for working on the android-platform-* source packages, please read
the READMEs and https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools, and ask questions
first before making changes.  Due to a very odd upstream source
arrangement, these source packages have a number of unusual requirements.

I don't know if you saw the recent uploads of simg2img and related
things.  We almost have all of android-tools-fsutils replaced.
android-tools-fastboot is definitely completely replaced by 'fastboot'.

> The other thing that I'm interested is native SDK on arm. I think some
> discussion happened on this area and it isn't your primary interest
> for the Android SDK since you prefer to stick to the original cross
> approach x86 host -> x86/arm target. Though I could be wrong. I'll
> definitely propose some patches on this area.

We are definitely interested in having support for all the Debian arches
if there is someone willing to do the work.  Our primary goal is to get
the complete Android SDK in Debian for amd64, so we didn't want to touch
arches that Google does not support before we achieved the primary goal.
 We have the almost all the essential SDK packages in Debian now, and
seamlik even did some ARM porting.

.hc