[Android-tools-devel] New Android SDK/NDK Rebuilds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Nov 27 10:28:19 GMT 2018

beuc at beuc.net:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 05:32:35PM +0100, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> It would be really great to connect your builds to the F-Droid builds!
>> The first step would be to make a repository of your packages that
>> sdkmanager can use.  I could probably host that on mirror.f-droid.org,
>> or perhaps another box.  How much space would that need?
>
> Here's an excerpt:
> 480M android-ndk-r18b-linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
> 701M android-sdk_eng.android_linux-x86-9.0.0r18.zip
> 703M android-sdk_eng.android_windows-9.0.0r18.zip
> 196M sdk-repo-linux-tools-26.1.1.zip
> 197M sdk-repo-windows-tools-26.1.1.zip
>

> These binaries are the direct result of the SDK/NDK build system.
> Typically the google guys either repackage these or recompile them
> differently for integration with 'sdkmanager'.  They also manage to
> offer newer versions as well as additional bundles that I didn't
> locate the source code for.
> E.g. SDK9 is a monolith build for all this:
>
> $ tools/bin/sdkmanager --list
> Installed packages:
>   Path                                         | Version    | Description                       | Location
>   -------                                      | -------    | -------                           | -------
>   build-tools;28.0.1                           | 28.0.1     | Android SDK Build-Tools 28.0.1    | build-tools/android-9/
>   docs                                         | 1          | Documentation for Android SDK     | docs/
>   platform-tools                               | 28.0.0 rc1 | Android SDK Platform-Tools 28 rc1 | platform-tools/
>   platforms;android-28                         | 5          | Android SDK Platform 28, rev 5    | platforms/android-9/
>   system-images;android-28;default;armeabi-v7a | 3          | ARM EABI v7a System Image         | system-images/android-9/armeabi-v7a/
>
> (Note: the Locations are considered "inconsistent" by sdkmanager)
> I typically install one of the bundles and work from there without downloading anything.
>

>> The NDK and sdk_tools builds finish in under an hour.  I didn't realize
>> the SDK build was _that_ big!
>
> Haha, I try to include detailed usage statitics in all my wiki pages.

I'd really like to see your builds in a sdkmanager repo.  Then fdroid
can start using that over the Google ones.  Or really, and app developer
who cares about free software could use them then.  We could also set
that repo as the default repo used by the Debian Android Tools packages.

I have setup an sdkmanager repo before for the fdroid emulator system
image, so I can help there.  What do you need to make this happen?

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556