[Aptitude-devel] Last call for aptitude lenny translations

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Sat Aug 2 09:18:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:08:38AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Burrows (dburrows at debian.org):
> >   I'd like to get a final build of aptitude together for lenny soon.

A think a new upload would be great. A final once isn't.

Since aptitude is a very important program and contains a lot of
messages (PO files, README.txt, docs, ...) I would prefer to allow
even last minutes changes.

Since Lenny is now frozen it could be possible that more users switch to
testing and find errors (even a few important ones).

> > The main reason for putting together this release is bug #483459, which
> > is trivial to fix and seems really annoying for Polish people.  While
> > I'm at it, I think I could convince the release team to allow in other
> > translation updates if we have anything pending.

I agree!

> I'd vote for a "final call" for translations. However, it needs a bit
> more than a few days to give translators a chance to do anything with
> it, particularly if one of them wants to start from scratch..:-)

Yep.

> My suggestion, Daniel, would be an upload this week-end with what we
> have in the repository, then Jens sending a call for last translation
> updates with a pretty long deadline (2-3 weeks) and explicitely saying
> this would be the very last upload for lenny.

I would vote that the last upload happens even later. Nevertheless
mentioning 2-3 weeks is OK for me.

> Jens, you could maybe send a formal call for translations with
> something like:
>
> cd po/
> podebconf-report-po --package=aptitude --gzip --withtranslators --languageteam --notdebconf --deadline="+2 weeks" --call
>
> ....and manually adapt the text to get people's attention...

Thanks for this command. I know it exists but never tried it yet ...
(but I also missed some general calls for Debian Installer from you
during the last months :-).

Jens