[Aptitude-devel] Warning regarding the Glade file.

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Dec 24 22:54:14 UTC 2008

  In my last round of changes, I noticed that the "main window" widget
in the Glade file has gotten very crowded.  I don't think we need to put
all the sub-parts of the notebook into the main window itself; we can
instead make them separate windows (and just instantiate the contents of
the window, same as we do now).  That should make it a lot easier to
work with the Glade file, and incidentally will avoid creating a lot of
unnecessary structure when we start up (I suspect we have a hidden copy
of each tab in the notebook, although I could be mistaken).  Hopefully
we shouldn't even need to change any code.

  Of course this is a pretty major change and will conflict with
anything else going on in the Glade file.  I'll try out techniques for
splitting the main window for now, and once we have any outstanding
changes to the .glade file committed I'll do it for real.  I know that
Arthur and Luca have been working on the Glade interface definition; if
there's anyone else in the same boat, let me know or I'll do the split
as soon as they say they're ready. ;-)