[Aptitude-devel] Several i18n patches and updated German translation

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Jan 15 14:28:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:48:07AM +0100, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> I updated the German translation and noticed some internationalisation
> errors in the head of the mercurial repository.

  I've forwarded your patches to Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org>,
who handles most i18n-related stuff for aptitude.

> First a simple question: I read somewhere that the debian/ subdirectory
> is contained in another repository but could not find it. Where is it?


> OK, let me explain my patches:
> aptitude.i18n.diff:
>  * I18n did not worked! Updating PO files (make update-po in po/) resulted
>    in some errors as po/POTFILES.in contained invalid source files!

  Ow.  That's a chronic problem; I suspect I should just put a rule in
to regenerate POTFILES.in every time you run update-po via "find".  (oddly
enough, "make update-po" works on my computer, or at least it completes)

>  * Also some strings (W_("...")) where not extracted from source which
>    resulted in untranslated messages!

  That's not so good.  I've added it to Makevars.template to be on the
safe side.  Note, however, that I can't actually reproduce the problem
here: even without this change, W_ -quoted strings ended up in .po
files.  I don't know what's up with that, since they really shouldn't
have AFAIK.

>  * Radio buttons in the preferences dialog where untranslated as W_()
>    was accessed during a static array initialisation which happens
>    before main() is started and while C is still the current locale.
>    I fixed this by specifying the English message to class radio_choice
>    and calling gettext in get_description() and get_long_description().
>    Instead of using W_ in the static array initialisation one has to use
>    now N_ to just mark the message translateable but not to translate
>    immediately.

  I did use N_(), but it looks like maybe the code that invokes gettext
runs too soon?

> aptitude.typos.diff:
>  * This fixes some trivial types. Please also fix these errors in all PO
>    files to avoid new fuzzy strings. Beware that the message containing
>    "aptiutde" will occur twice once fixed and should that's why be
>    removed from all PO files (it's illegal to have a msgid string twice
>    in PO files).
>  * My new German translation contains these fixes already.

  Forwarded to Christian.

  wrt the comments: the one thing I noticed in skimming it is that you
tripped over fragf() format codes.  It uses format codes that are
suggestive of printf(), but not identical: for instance, in fragf, %B
turns on bold text and %b turns it off.


More information about the Aptitude-devel mailing list