[Aptitude-devel] Translations after merge of post-lenny

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun Apr 12 04:42:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:35:33PM +0200, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> I tried to verify that translations survived properly the merge of
> post-lenny into head and noticed trouble :-)

  Ouch. :-(

> One error I noticed immediately:
> In 2611:c81f562751d6 you destroyed the latin1 encoding in po/da.po. Compare
> "iconv -f iso-8859-1 po/da.po" which contains now "�".

  Wow.  I'm not sure how I did that -- may have been an attempt to
merge a pofile.  Is the version in 1665:94b597a663a7 correct?

> Looking at the diff of "c81f562751d6" (Merge the entire post-lenny branch
> into head.) I see the diff for configure.ac:
>
> -ALL_LINGUAS="ar bs ca ..."
> +ALL_LINGUAS="ar ast bs ca ..."

  Interesting, I don't get a diff on that line (see below).

> A stupid question: What is merged into what? Is post-lenny merged into old head
> or old head into post-lenny? Or is the merge a symmetric operation?

  I would guess that hg picks an arbitrary parent if you just ask it
for the "patch" of a merge commit.  i.e., what we have here is

  head             post-lenny
    +----------+-----------+

             merge

            new-head

  and you really have *two* diffs, one between "head" and "new-head"
and one between "post-lenny" and "new-head".  I get the diff between
head and new-head, but it sounds like you're getting the diff between
post-lenny and new-head.  You can select the diff between head and
new-head specifically by passing "-r 1665:2611".

> At least I remember that I added "ast" to the old head and not post-lenny.

  That looks right: I see it in the current tip and in "hg cat -r 1665
configure.ac".