[Aptitude-devel] Branches in aptitude, where to work on translations?

Daniel Burrows dburrows at algebraicthunk.net
Wed Feb 18 15:01:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:05:48AM +0100, Jens Seidel <jensseidel at users.sf.net> was heard to say:
> didn't I start using the mailing list inseatd of private mail?

  Yeah, I hit the wrong button.  I resent my reply to the list
eventually but it took a while (I didn't realize I'd replied
directly until I had already left for work).

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:37:20AM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   I tried merging head into post-lenny, but the translation merge
> > looked scary -- I didn't know which branch had important work, or if
> > they both did.  Probably safer if I leave it to you.
>
> Yep, translations cannot easily be merged. But in the past translation
> updates where *only* committed to head. There was, IIRC, only a single
> exception, and I will care about it. You can nevertheless keep the PO files
> in current head unchanged and after the merge call make update-po.

  OK, when I merge I'll take the translation files from head.

> I hope I will be able to access the post_lenny branch even after you
> removed it. I don't know hg very well (only CVS, Subversion and I even
> failed to learn git during many weeks (it's just too complex) :-))

  Hm, the history will all be merged into head, if that's what you're
asking.  I could leave the branch itself up, but I think that would
just spread confusion.  Do you need the separate branch for something?