[Aptitude-devel] Review of 298143

Piotr Galiszewski piotr at galiszewski.pl
Thu Aug 12 20:08:15 UTC 2010

2010/8/12 Daniel Burrows <dburrows at google.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Piotr Galiszewski <piotr at galiszewski.pl> wrote
>> 4) searching by all versions:
>>
>> a) simple (0.6.5.4):
>> 0.09 (first search took 0.12 and each later about 0.035)
>>
>> b) aptitude patterns (?any-version(0.6.5.4))
>> 0.09
>
>  That isn't identical to what you had above.  You probably just want this:
>
>    ?version(0\.6\.5\.4)
>
>> As expected search results were always the same ;)
>
>  That does surprise me -- the ?any-version shouldn't behave like your
> version search.
>
>> For later searches
>> lazy loading gives some improvements, but first search is always
>> longer. I do not know if manual creating of patterns will give some
>> visible improvements.
>>
>> To sum up, On my machine lazy loading gives some improvements, but the
>> numbers are always small, so improvements is not big (and there is
>> always penalty during first search). How it will work on slower
>> machines I have no idea (my old computer died 6 months ago)
>>
>> I am looking forward to read your opinions if it is worth to use
>> custom searching in this case (probably no). Now I am coming back to
>> normal code rewriting ;)
>
>  Given your time constraints, I don't think it's worth it for you to
> spend any time making this faster.

OK. So I will remove my custom code and create proper patterns.

I have also one question about your proposal:

"filters_manager: remember all the extant filter definitions, allow
filters to be added or removed, and transfer them to/from the config
file.

   filter_selector: tracks a list of filter definitions that is being
presented to the user and emits a signal when the effective filter has
changed (either due to a change in the selection or to a change in a
selected filter definition)."

So, filter_selector should be real model for filters_view (should
contain all visible for users filters)? and model list of all
available filters? Or selector should contains similar to list filter
to current package_proxy_model list?

As for my time constraints, the program is ending, but later I will
work on this code, till it will be all finished and merged. So we can
look on it later, if it will be necessary :)

--
Regards
Piotr Galiszewski