[Aptitude-devel] Tools 2: VCS

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Sun May 16 21:19:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:26:21PM +0200, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
> On 2010-05-16 22:04 +0200, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> >   Ok, it's done.  To get a read-only copy of the repository, do:
> >
> >     $ git clone http://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/git/aptitude/aptitude.git
>
> It is better to use the git protocol:
>
> $ git clone git://git.debian.org/aptitude/aptitude.git

  Beat you to it ;-).

> Do you intend to have a debian branch in this repository?  That would be
> handy for those who would like to build a Debian package.

  I was hoping git-buildpackage will work properly with that
configuration.  Setting it up will have to wait until I'm not trying
to balance a 6-month-old on my lap :).

  According to this page, you can do it, but the Debian branch ends up
being totally independent of the main development branch (i.e., no
common ancestors), so it's really just two repositories in one.  It
sounds like you end up storing all the upstream source twice, which
would be bad for people just tracking development -- maybe a separate
repository is better?  Anyone with more experience here is free to
comment.

  http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html#combine