[Aptitude-devel] Tools 2: VCS

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Sun May 16 21:28:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:26:21PM +0200, Sven Joachim <svenjoac at gmx.de> was heard to say:
>> On 2010-05-16 22:04 +0200, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>>
>> >   Ok, it's done.  To get a read-only copy of the repository, do:
>> >
>> >     $ git clone http://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/git/aptitude/aptitude.git
>>
>> It is better to use the git protocol:
>>
>> $ git clone git://git.debian.org/aptitude/aptitude.git
>
>  Beat you to it ;-).
>
>> Do you intend to have a debian branch in this repository?  That would be
>> handy for those who would like to build a Debian package.
>
>  I was hoping git-buildpackage will work properly with that
> configuration.  Setting it up will have to wait until I'm not trying
> to balance a 6-month-old on my lap :).
>
>  According to this page, you can do it, but the Debian branch ends up
> being totally independent of the main development branch (i.e., no
> common ancestors), so it's really just two repositories in one.  It
> sounds like you end up storing all the upstream source twice, which
> would be bad for people just tracking development -- maybe a separate
> repository is better?  Anyone with more experience here is free to
> comment.
>
>  http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html#combine

The approach described at the end of the section is similar to what I
do when using git-buildpackage with VCS only upstreams.
I keep upstream in an upstream branch, tag upstream releases as
upstream/1.2.3, merge into the debian branch, do whatever new
modifications need to be done, tag it debian/1.2.3-1 and build
packages from there.

Cheers

Arthur