[Aptitude-devel] New version ready for sponser/upload

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:28:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

2012/2/8 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
> Now, would you rather I quickly make these changes to the current
> version and reupload, or leave them a week or two while I ready some
> other packaging changes (build-indep for docs and split out many files
> to aptitude-common)?

My approach to these matters with Debian packages is to be forgiving
(I hope that I'm using the right expression).  The new package doesn't
have to be perfect in all aspects, just to be better than the previous
release.  Sometimes it happens that you spend time fixing a smallish
thing and then when uploaded it has major issues because it doesn't
build in some architectures due to e.g. GCC problems; or a couple of
days later a new version of a library breaks the package.

So don't let the perfect to be enemy of the good; all of these matters
were present before (for years in many cases), and are trivial
packaging "nitpicks".

The bugs that are being reported lately have real impact on users, and
things like dpkg-multiarch are going to cause a lot of trouble, so I
propose to get this release out of the door ASAP, so we can continue
clearing the huge bug backlog and start focusing on major issues.

Cheers.

PS: I'm going out for a about a week, starting tomorrow.  So just to
warn in the case that somebody wants to wait for my
opinion/help/whatever -- just go ahead and keep up the good work :-)