[Aptitude-devel] About the status and plans for aptitude

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Sat Jan 14 14:25:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

thanks to Christian's blog posting I became aware that there's
something moving with regards to aptitude and I'm very happy to see
that. I'm subscribed to aptitude-devel from now on, too.

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
>  - Is there anyone interested in reviving the project,

Definitely interested!

>    or that at least considered seriously the idea lately?

Not seriously though, mostly for the same reasons as Christian: I have
no idea of C++. And the very little idea I got during my second
semester at university (about 15 years ago) is surely gone for good.
;-)

>    Maybe everybody is using just apt, synaptic or something else
>    doing the task much better, and I didn't realise :)

Definitely not! There's nothing like aptitude's curses interface
anywhere else and that's the fastest way to solve dependency issues or
modify dependency solutions manually.

I'd really would like to see aptitude (-curses, I don't really care
about that suspicious GTK stuff ;-) to evolve further.

So what can I offer for aptitude?

Not much unfortunately, due to missing C++ knowledge, likely
maintaining too many packages already ;-) including some other popular
packages which need quite some bug triaging and other maintainer work
(mostly screen and the whole set of WML related packages needed for
generating www.debian.org's web pages).

But I can offer to test aptitude from unstable or experimental in
daily heavy duty use (including custom grouping, custom format strings
and custom limiting) on several Debian and Debian-Ports architectures:
i386, amd64, kfreebsd-i386, powerpc and sparc at least -- armhf,
sparc64 and maybe alpha to come. Plus root access to one
kfreebsd-amd64 box (asdfasdf actually).

And encouraging those who are already up to help out with aptitude to
continue to do so! :-) Thanks!

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin