[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.6-1 available on mentors.d.n

David Kalnischkies kalnischkies+debian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 06:58:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 15:26, Guillem Jover <guillem at debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 22:14:11 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
>> (your abi/api breaks are usually of the "we added a new member to an
>>  internal struct/new parameter breaking function pointers/added new
>>  method making yours with the same name ambitious" type and not of
>>  "we agreed 3 years ago to a spec, but we don't give a damn now" ?)
>
> I assume this comment to implicitly refer to dpkg (given other similar
> comments elsewhere…), if so it's completely uncalled for, because the
> interfaces that have changed (besides most of them being required to
> have proper cross-grading possible, or because the previous ones were
> plain inadequate) were never part of any spec, less so an agreed one.

I am not really (only) refer to dpkg here nor do I want to go that route here
given that it will end up nowhere, so let me apology for it if it offends you
(or anyone else) - but non-the-less a comment to explain myself:

My memory is usually quiet faulty, but given that it was my first conference
the memory of UDS-L in Nov 2009 is good enough and your response on IRC
to the question when dpkg will support multi-arch is literally burned in
given that it changed quiet a bit for me to a point that I don't really know
what I would be up to in regards to debian or APT if you hadn't wrote it.

So I guess I am just (too) personally attached to the multi-arch topic to
maintain a neutral and technical attitude at all times (or at all at times).
On the pro-side, this topic is mostly done so I might as well get over it.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies