[Aptitude-devel] Preview of work refactored from experimental-0.6.9

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Sun Feb 9 12:34:13 UTC 2014

Hi Daniel,

I'm happy to see you back in action!

Daniel Hartwig wrote:
> I have just pushed two branches, updated for current master.
>
> * dth/remove-libept
>
> Libept is suggested to be removed by its developer.  Aptitude only
> uses it to read debtags database and initiate apt-xapian-index.  Both
> of these tasks are trivial to perform without libept, so this branch
> is moving towards doing that.

Yay!

> Refactored with care from experimental.  The HEAD is not yet
> finalized, and then there are a few more commits to make on top of
> that (multi-arch optimization and reading tags from apt db when
> debtags is not installed).

Ok. Looking forward to that.

> * dth/cachefile
>
> This is the most significantly changed part of wip-cmdline.  In the
> older branch there was much duplication of code from libapt for
> constructing CacheSets, due to aptitudes independent cachefile class.
> Here it is derived directly from apts class and hence, less code
> duplication.
[…]
> Underneath this goes these two commits from wip-cmdline:
> - Use apt's CommandLine parser
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=aptitude/aptitude.git;a=commit;h=d082e98fcf8d2809fd89d3bc2c3002f5e2e1f5a3

Sounds good. I actually didn't expect that there's so much functionality
duplication in there.

> - Tidy error handling in main, cmdline actions
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=aptitude/aptitude.git;a=commit;h=a88745bf22c3e83e5d78331a69f813e451c895a0

Yay. I'm very looking forward to that one.

> * On to 0.7 development
>
> Merging any of this work is sufficient to justify a bump to 0.7.

I agree. In the past there was talk about 0.6.10, but I think 0.7
makes it clearer that quite a lot internals changed.

> We can expect final drafts of the complete work by this time next week.

Thanks for picking this up again.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin