[Aptitude-devel] aptitude readability

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 08:29:18 UTC 2014

On 23 February 2014 04:08, Kuro Maii <kurolist at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hello all and/or developers of aptitude,
>
> I have a request to update the cli output of aptitude to be "human
> readable". I request this because I have used fedora and find it a bit
> to unstable for daily use but I really like how yum has formated its output.
> as for a demo of the output here are pastebins for both
> aptitude: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6977999/
> yum     : http://paste.ubuntu.com/6977867/
>
> If a yum-like output can be implemented I would be very happy even if it
> would be with an extra commandline option.

The current internal design of aptitude means any change this
significant would be large and unmanageable, spread across multiple
modules.

> I would also like to know other peoples opinion to the matter as I find
> the default output of aptitude to be very unreadable.

I have no trouble reading aptitude output, and the example you gave is
rather trivial. If you want more details in the output try using
--verbose.  Otherwise, I think you are just used to yums output.
Perhaps you can add an apt backend to yum.