[Aptitude-devel] I wonder if and how I should integrate my set of IMHO useful aptitude aliases into aptitude proper

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:43:05 UTC 2016

Hi Axel,

>[...]
>One idea is currently to ship them as ready-to-use (i.e.
>non-compressed and executable) shell scripts in
>/usr/share/doc/aptitude/examples/.
>
>Of course we could also ship them in /usr/bin/ which would raise their
>visibility. But then again, I'm not sure if it's worth to clutter
>/usr/bin/ with them.
>
>Another idea is to ship two scripts, maybe called
>'aptitude-search-set' (CLI variant) and 'aptitude-view-set' (TUI
>variant) which take parameters like "just-recommended",
>"also-via-dependency", "not-marked-auto-libraries",
>"upgradable-to-experimental", "upgradable-to-buildd",
>"newer-than-in-archive" or "dpigs" and call aptitude with the
>appropriate parameters taken from some text file under
>/usr/share/aptitude/.
>
>Any comments?

I am not sure if you are looking for other people's opinion, I think
that not many people are subscribed to this list, read it regularly or
pay attention to it.

Also, I am not a heavy user of advanced filtering nor do it every day --
so when I need that, perhaps every few weeks or months, I tend do make
the filter on the spot.  I don't think that I would use the filters that
you mention very often.

In any case, I would like to mention a third possibility to "host" them,
though, which would be a set of examples / recipes in some prominent
place of the documentation (e.g. its own top-level section in the guide,
or an entry in "on-line help" in the UI, or something similar).

I was planning to do some of the above in the future in other areas, to
give more visibility to some features which are not known to more recent
or casual users.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>