[Aptitude-devel] Enquiry about libdpkg-perl alternatives

Guillem Jover guillem at debian.org
Thu Sep 29 01:49:23 UTC 2016

[ Module maintainers and users CCed for lists, and BCCed for people
  (where I've omitted those I suspect (?) read the maintainer lists).
  Please follow-up on d-dpkg and your maintainer list if relevant. ]

Hi!

I was checking for perl implementations of things provided now by
libdpkg-perl and I see there's several of them, I'd like to canvas the
reasons for the existence of those in case it's due to deficiencies in
libdpkg-perl for example. In the same way, I'm interested in the
reasons the users of those modules had when chosing them instead of
libdpkg-perl?

Also if there's interest, I'm happy to discuss possible missing feature
merge-backs and possible transition handling to deprecate some of the
modules. For example the changelog parsing implementation in libdpkg-perl
was merged a while back from the one in libparse-debianchangelog-perl,
but I think some of the output formatters are still missing there.

The current modules list and their users I've got includes:

 * libdpkg-parse-perl
   - dh-make-perl
 * libparse-debcontrol-perl
   - customdeb