[Babel-users] IPv4+6 routing in Babel

Henning Rogge hrogge at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 4 06:16:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 03:58, Harald Geyer<harald at lefant.net> wrote:
> Henning Rogge <hrogge at googlemail.com>:
>> The problem is that link-local do not always work in manets because manet
>> broadcast domains are not 'closed'.
>
> Can you be more explicit on that "problem"?
>
> I can't think of a situation where we want to select a node as gateway
> but can't reach it via it's link local address...
>
> Note that as babel is not a link state protocol and doesn't have a global
> topology it need not care much about nodes outside it's broadcast domain.
Think about a chain of nodes A-B-C. Each node can see each other,
except A and C.

With IPv6 DAD it can happen that A and C choose the same link-local IP
for their interface, because they cannot see each other. This would
make it "difficult" for B to address A and C.

Henning Rogge

--
"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt