[Babel-users] Questions on the "new" AHCP

Alex Morlang alx at dd19.de
Fri Jan 15 12:53:47 UTC 2010

Am 15.01.2010 um 13:34 schrieb Gabriel Kerneis:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:42:00AM +0100, Alex Morlang wrote:
>> the ahcp-config.sh should be updated to use uci states to set ip
>> addresses, as right now, the settings will not survive any actions
>> of luci/uci.
>
> On second thought, I'm not sure this is such a good idea: is the
> address you grab from dhcp inserted in uci?  Do you want such
> addresses
> to survive a reboot?  I'm not sure about the first one, but the answer
> to the second one is definitely no, according to me.  And it should be
> the same about ahcp.

it's about putting it into /var/state, as i understood nbd, not to
store it permanent.

> Now, if you change some things manually (in uci/luci), you just need
> restart ahcpd or wait for some time (how long?) to get a fresh
> address.
> You are doing stuff manually, anyway, so why not restart it?
>

> Why do you think it is import to store this in uci?

if i reconfigure an interface like "lan", it will trigger a network
restart and thus all information is lost.

so, ahcp should use uci or hook into uci to get restarted whenever
needed.

i think the first one is easier and cleaner.

> Regards,

gruss, Alex