[Babel-users] AHCP thoughts

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:09:16 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Mind you, I'm not sure that your classroom example is convincing.  I'd
> expect a wired school to have a wired access point in every classroom,
> which would either be colocated with an AHCP server, or provide a wired
> connection to one.  In either case, you'd be fine rebooting in the
> classroom.

Until AHCP runs on Cisco hardware this will not happen in Slovenia.
All schools are equipped just with Cisto access points.

> As I've mentioned in my previous mail -- I'd be very curious to see
> a real application where you really need a truly decentralised
> configuration protocol.  You and Henning have clearly got more vision
> than I, and I'm looking forward to seeing such a network.

I have to confess, I am a big hypocrite. ;-)

In Ljubljana we are currently using highly centralized configuration
and deployment system (called nodewatcher) where all configuration is
made through centralized web interface and system can then take care
of proper configuration of all nodes. It generates firmware with all
configuration already in the firmware and firmware does not even have
a web interface itself to be able to change some configuration.

Or maybe I am a person of extremes. But I do see limitations with our
current centralized approach so this is why I am thinking that in a
mobile world it is hard to keep it.

But for such new networks we first have to have good examples of
static infrastructure meshes. Then we can extend this with mobile
nodes. So people will probably start using our software to connect to
static meshes. And then they will discover that it works also in other
situations.

Mitar