[Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Mar 27 15:26:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont think its about closing any of the code off, I think its more
> about how someone can simple add other added
> parameters or restrictions on the code base which was originally a
> more open unrestricted license

But you're fine with commercial software developers making closed
source products based off the code base?

If yes, then don't you realize you're granting them the right to add
restrictions?

And if no, then you really should not be using the MIT license but
instead, the GPL.

Perhaps the issue is that we have two sets of expectations, one for
commercial developers (who we excuse when they relicense MIT/BSD/X11
code) and one for free software developers (who we expect to play by
our rules). But this division is inaccurate.

My strong advice is to use GPLv3 in any case, it's better for the
community and creates a level playing field. Your current license
favours commercial teams with no benefit to the community (no
incentive to contribute back).

-Pieter