[Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:34:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I dont think its about closing any of the code off, I think its more
>> about how someone can simple add other added
>> parameters or restrictions on the code base which was originally a
>> more open unrestricted license
>
> But you're fine with commercial software developers making closed
> source products based off the code base?
>
> If yes, then don't you realize you're granting them the right to add
> restrictions?
>
> And if no, then you really should not be using the MIT license but
> instead, the GPL.
>
> Perhaps the issue is that we have two sets of expectations, one for
> commercial developers (who we excuse when they relicense MIT/BSD/X11
> code) and one for free software developers (who we expect to play by
> our rules). But this division is inaccurate.

Even I have added a commercial encryption extension to babel, and not
released it
And have done development works on babel that would in some cases fall under
potential government restrictions on releasing the code. Which is why babel was
chosen in the first place, because it was capable and properly
licensed for the purpose
we needed it. I couldnt have accomplished this under the GPL, so yes
from a commercial
aspect, the MIT/BSD Licenses is LESS restrictive in my opinion.

> My strong advice is to use GPLv3 in any case, it's better for the
> community and creates a level playing field. Your current license
> favours commercial teams with no benefit to the community (no
> incentive to contribute back).

And alot of us find the GPL to be far to restrictive when proprietary
security extensions need
to be applied, and its not only about commercial gain, its more about
security of a software
stack and the reasonable additions that can be protected when added
under MIT/BSD and not
under GPL in certain arenas where it benefits society, in the
monitoring of various infrastructures
in a secure fashion within reason.