[Babel-users] Babeld merged with GPL headers against copyright holders' wishes

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Tue Mar 27 18:44:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Please read my initial mail again.  At no point have I argued the
> legality of Paul's actions.  I'm simply stating that I find his actions
> rude.

You chose to use MIT/X11 for code that depends on other GPL code. You did
so because you told us you hate dealing with licensing hassles. You then
wanted us to merge it. In effect, you left the hassle for us to deal with.
You *were* involved in discussions about this, and about the options we
felt were open to us - but you asked not to be involved in those, after
making it clear you wanted the code to remain MIT/X11.

We (not just David Lamparter and I either, Greg Troxel is also an active
maintainer, guidance wise) spent a good bit of time and energy trying to
deal with this the last month+. We have tried to accommodate your wishes
as much as we can.

Again, it's *not* just the licence for your software at play here. We have
to meet the licenses from *other* people's code too. We've done so while
*still* going out of our way to ensure future contributions remain
available to you under MIT/X11.

It's just bizarre to call that rude, sorry - unless you think we're
supposed to put your non-binding desires above the *binding* conditions of
*other people's licences* (in addition to your licence).

Perhaps in time you'll see why we had to do this.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	@pjakma	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: