[Babel-users] Communication broken on reboot/interface restart

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste.jonglez at ens-lyon.fr
Thu Dec 19 11:17:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:08:34AM +0100, Jeremy DIERX wrote:
> For test and debug I do it manually.
> After boot for both Rpi and server, I do :
>
> ip link set eth0 down && ip link set eth0 up
> ip link show ra0
> ip addr add 192.168.13.x dev ra0
> iwconfig ra0 mode Ad-Hoc channel 48 essid "redmesh13"
> babeld -d 3 -w ra0
>
> When I shutdown one interface, I do :
> ip link set eth0 down
>
> Then restart :
> ip link set eth0 up
> iwconfig ra0 mode Ad-Hoc channel 48 essid "redmesh13"
> babeld -d 3 -w ra0

So, by "reboot", you mean only an down/up of the interface.

Do you really have two interfaces (eth0 and ra0), or is that just a
mistake in the command you gave?

> The communication is broken (no ping) although babel seems to be ok
> (from babelweb and babeld debug).

As Gabriel pointed out, your interface may lose it's IPv4 address when
bringing it down and then up.

If I remember correctly, ahcpd doesn't automatically re-add the address
when the interface goes down and up; are you using ahcpd, or assigning
addresses manually?