[Babel-users] Babeld Team ID ( AS number like )

Gioacchino Mazzurco gio at eigenlab.org
Wed Mar 20 09:58:51 UTC 2013

Hi all!

We are experimenting to use babeld as routing protocol for the VPN to join the
community networks in italy

It seems works very fine but we encountered a problem in the interoperability
with other routing protocols like olsrd

Clauz from ninux developed an olsr plugin that automatically injects route
with a specified proto ( 42 in our case as babeld use it as default ) inside
olsrd as HNA

This work fine if there is only a gateway that make the communication between
olsrd and babeld network

but if we add other gateways they will learn the subnet that babeld learned
from first olsrd as HNA and this is distruptive for the olsrd network

at moment we solved filtering route from certain ids with rules like that

in id ID_DEL_ROUTER_ROMANO_1 deny
in id ID_DEL_ROUTER_ROMANO_3 deny
in id ID_DEL_ROUTER_ROMANO_4 deny
in id ID_DEL_ROUTER_ROMANO_5 deny

doing this is sustainable with just some router but not for a big community as
it is quadratic in the number of border router because we have add a new line
on each router everytime a border gateway is added moreover we have to keep
track of every border router that is quite problematic in a big community...

So we thinked that it would be very useful if Babeld would suppert a "team id"
similar to AS number so we can just puts a line like

in team_id roman_routers_team_id deny

and then set the same team_id for every babeld router in rome

so the problem would be fixed in a sustainable way

Is there already a way to do that?
If is not possible at moment, is it easly implementable in babeld?

Thanks!!