[Babel-users] Source-specific routes

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun May 5 20:36:43 UTC 2013

> We have run into the same thing a few years ago, source IP selection
> in IPv6 is always done by the kernel, not the user.

That's not about source IP selection (which is done using RTA_DEFSRC,
which we haven't tested, and which is not our business anyway since
it's an end-node function), but about having multiple routes to the
same destination which are chosen according to the *source* address of
the routed packets.  It's a weak form of source routing -- it allows
the end node to influence routing (by chosing a specific source
address) while still leaving routing firmly in control of the routers.

It's an old idea, but it's recently become fashionable:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-ipv6-ospf-dst-src-routing

Note that I do not necessarily agree with everything Fred says in this
draft.  In particular, I have different ideas about 2.1 (which I've
discussed in detail with him, and which he's not hostile to).