[Babel-users] TLV and sub-TLV space: allocation policy

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Jul 1 13:22:03 UTC 2014

Dear all,

In order to get the extension protocol published, I need to define
a policy for allocating TLV numbers.  The reviewer has suggested
"First-Come-First-Served with public reference", but is also willing to
accept plain FCFS.  IANA allocation policies are defined in RFC 5226:

I assume the reviewer means "Specification Required", which sounds good to
me.  The only negative effect I can see is that we'll need to freeze and
document a new extension before we can be assured of getting a TLV number,
which should not be to onerous.  I guess I should reserve 8 (or 16?)
values for Experimental Use (or Private Use?).

Advice?  (Denis, I'm particularly interested in your opinion.)