[Babel-users] Diversity Routing for the Babel Routing Protocol

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Jul 2 11:57:11 UTC 2014

> I see no good reason to merge the drafts: all current extensions are
> logically independant, at least at the protocol level.

I agree.  All the more so since the three extension drafts have different
authors and are therefore written in very different styles, and it would
therefore be a lot of work to combine them into a uniform document.

> Regarding Z3 and RTT, you're right, it's not exactly clear.  The current
> implementation of Z3 applies the diversity factor *after* all other costs
> are computed, included the one induced by babel-rtt.

Huh?  RTT and Z3 work at completely different places -- RTT tweaks the
cost computation, while Z3 changes the announced metric.  In order to
apply both, you just apply both, so you end up annoucing a metric that was
tweaked by Z3 and was originally computed by RTT.  No trouble.

Now one could imagine two extensions that tweak the same part of the
algorithm, in which case you'd need to think carefully about interaction,
but that's not the case with the currently implemented four extensions.