[Babel-users] Diversity Routing for the Babel Routing Protocol

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste.jonglez at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Jul 2 09:14:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 05:37:33PM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
> speaking only for myself, I'd be happier if the latest batch of IDs
> were all rolled into one.
>
> I find myself asking questions about how z3 and rtt are supposed to coexist,
> in the intersection of these documents.

I see no good reason to merge the drafts: all current extensions are
logically independant, at least at the protocol level.

Implementations may want to make the various extensions interact, but
that's out of scope of the IDs (except maybe as "implementation
recommendations"?)

Regarding Z3 and RTT, you're right, it's not exactly clear.  The current
implementation of Z3 applies the diversity factor *after* all other costs
are computed, included the one induced by babel-rtt.  Basically, Z3 works
with "route->cost", which is defined as "neighbour_cost(neigh)".  This
last function computes the cost to a neighbour using txcost, rxcost, link
quality estimation, and RTT.