[Babel-users] TLV and sub-TLV space: allocation policy

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Jul 2 12:32:39 UTC 2014

> "Specification Required" today seems most workable for everybody in
> foreseeable future, I finally understood it includes Designated Expert,
> which I suggested in the past.

Sorry for not following up at that time, Denis, but we've got different
timings -- there's very little energy I can devote to Babel during term
time.

> After browsing other protocol registries on the IANA web-site in the
> past it looked more convenient to have one registry for Babel with two
> sub-registries rather than a separate registry for TLVs and sub-TLVs.

Thanks.  I'll see with the IETF reviewers.

> +---------+-------------------------------+
> | Range   | Registration Procedures       |
> +---------+-------------------------------+
> |   0-127 | Expert Review                 |
> | 128-223 | Expert Review                 |
> | 224-255 | Reserved for Experimental Use |

I'm open to discussion, but I'm planning

   0-127: Specification Required
 128-144: Experimental Use
 145-254: Specification Required
     255: Reserved

The idea about the Experimental range is that it should be easy to decode
by sight in a hexdump.  Hence the choice of values.