[Babel-users] fun with babeld

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Jul 2 21:17:50 UTC 2014

> The computer you see my son operating is actually an Android tablet; maybe
> can run node.js.  Maybe not, I will try. It has a debian chroot, 4 CPUs and
> 1GB ram...

jch at ariane:~$ ps l $(pidof babelweb)
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
0     0 27658     1  20   0 651068 70488 ep_pol Sl   ?         26:32 babelweb

That's 70 megs, after not being restarted for weeks.

> One thing I realized while looking at my data is that I seem to have lost
> connectivity to the 3800 that was right there in the wagon.  That shouldn't
> be unless when babeld lost connectivity it caused RAs to stop or something.

Babeld disables RAs, just like every IPv6 routing protocol.  The simplest
solution is to set up a static IPv6 address on your node before starting
babeld.

(The IPv6 specs are very clear: RAs are sent by routers, and received by
hosts.  Under Linux, enabling forwarding has the side effect of disabling
reception of RAs.  There are very valid reasons why this needs to be done.)