[Babel-users] able to ping to neighbor but no entry in routing table

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:52:15 UTC 2014

an ip route (normal) and ip route (bad) would be helpful.

knowing what kernel versions you are running would be rather helpful. During
the routing cache elimination period (linux 3.3 through 3.8 I think), lots
of routing bugs came to light. More recently some bugs were found and fixed
in ipv6_subtrees. I'm pretty happy with babels on kernels later than 3.10.12.

On various kernels I have observed "stuck" infinite routes, bad shortest path
finding, (and on a crash of babel, incomplete removal of routes.)

A big problem is people installing default routes via methods other than babel,
(e.g. dhcp). The tyranny of the default route is a real problem,
although it is easily
disabled in dhclient (for boxes using isc-dhcp) or in openwrt (set
defaultroute 0 on all
dhcp acquired networks)

One problem with using p2p routes I've seen on ethernet is many
devices don't respond anymore to a icmp redirect, which gets issued by
some routers.

then there are inevitable collisions with various iptables rules
people seem to want to insert on routers.