[Babel-users] client to client communication using babel protocol

Casper Meijn caspermeijn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 12:05:12 UTC 2015

Hello Sachin,

I am in no way an expert with babeld, but I will try to answer your
question.

The problem you want to solve is to automatic generate routes to 'normal'
clients (clients without any additional software installed). babeld doesn't
solve this problem for you. babeld will automatic generate a path to known
addresses. There are two ways that babeld finds addresses: (1) the
addresses of the babeld node and (2) routes added to the kernel by a other
program then babeld.

You are looking for a tool to create a route to your client. The easiest
way to do that is use the standard functionality of home routers. These use
DHCP to configure their clients to use a specific subnet and they create a
static route to the subnet. babeld could redistribute this route to the
other nodes. The backdraw of this method is that your lose the roaming
effect of running babeld on the clients.

I have previously searched for a tool to create routes to 'normal' clients,
but I have no such thing. I have created a prototype which abuses the ARP
protocol to find the clients and then install a route to this client. This
method worked and I have been willing to create a real application to do
this, but I have not found the time yet.

For now I just install babeld on the clients to achieve roaming in my
network.

Regards Casper