[Babel-users] Babel and AHCP configuration query

Mark Baillie mark at rabid-weasel.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 18:13:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been trying to learn how babel and ahcp function by building a series
of nodes on the curent release of the rasbian OS using a set of raspberry
PI's.

After following several useful documents online however I've stumbled to a
halt when trying to get more than two of them to communicate successfully.

The situation I'm seeing is that the Pi running babel and ahcpd in server
mode is assigning an address to the first other configured Pi, however
after that I'm unable to get any further to be allocated addresses.

The configuration for ahcpd running the server is pretty basic:

mode server

prefix 10.1.2.0/24
lease-dir /var/lib/leases

The ahcp clients are even more basic, and are simply set as mode client.

I've tried various combinations of babel configuration ranging from
nothing, to a very basic

redistribute local ip 10.0.0.0/8

Looking at the local routing tables I'm able to see the ipv6 link local
address that's getting assigned by default to the other computers, but
I've been unable to find any way of making the nodes talk to each other,
or for them to be allocated any address.

Similarly, I've looked at things using babelweb connected to the server
node, and that has also reported the ipv6 local address of the additional
nodes as being visible, but it's not getting picked up as part of the
babel network.

The wlan configurations are all matching, and running in ad-hoc mode on
the same channel, and the configuration on the pi that isn't connecting is
identical to the one that has managed to connect.

The problem also seems to be specific to the order in which the nodes
connect, as wiping the leases table and rebooting always causes the first
activated client to connect successfully, suggesting it's something either
in the routing configurations or in the server.

I'd really appreciate any assistance in identifying where I've gotten the
configuration wrong.

Many thanks.

-Mark