[Babel-users] Need to check Babel performance in a network simulator

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:15:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:02 AM, ashvini vyavhare <ashviniv9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply Juliusz.
>
> Actually my research topic is routing protocol for heterogeneous mesh
> network in low power constrained environment. I am going through
> routing protocols like Babel, BATMAN, RPL etc. and their comparison.
> As there are RFC available for both Babel and RPL, I was trying to get
> implementation of these protocols in any network simulator so that I
> can see the performance comparison. But I didn't find any. So wanted
> to know your view on use of Babel/RPL for heterogeneous mesh network
> in low power constrained environment.

A piece of relevant on-going work, not quite related to routing per
se' but very important overall, is the minstrel-blues stuff going on,
which couples wifi rate control with power management, so as to use
minimum power when transmitting to stations nearby. I have GREAT hopes
for that to reduce the impact of there being (in the USA, anyway) a
mere 4 people per AP now, a situation that is only going to get worse.

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2014/ocw/sessions/2439

patches are in need of review on linux-wireless  (I have tested, but
we could use more playing with it - Andrew McGregor and I would add a
tested-by but I am not on the linux-wireless list presently), and
there remains tons of low lying fruit inside wifi left to improve.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/ieee802.11-sept-17-2014/11-14-1265-00-0wng-More-on-Bufferbloat.pdf

I will certainly argue that figuring out the ratio (amdahl's law)
energy costs of routing protocol overhead vs actual transmit costs and
other costs (like waking up the cpu to do a measurement) would be a
good thing. I am very interested in figuring out how IoT devices using
FRAMS, in particular, like these:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/gXH8mrit1Lf

http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/microcontrollers_16-bit_32-bit/msp/ultra-low_power/msp430frxx_fram/overview.page

could be made to scale up. Similarly, there are now a VERY low cost
set of wifi IoT devices out there, with mind blowing performance and
energy characteristics - but I can't remember the name of them right
now - 2 bucks in quantity! And programmed in lua, of all things!

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
> <jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>>> Is there a Babel implementation in any network simulator that I can
>>> use.
>>
>> Some students of mine did implement a simulator version of Babel, but
>> I don't recall the details.  I'll see if I can find the code.
>>
>>> It will be great if pointers towards any help is provided regarding the
>>> same.
>>
>> It is not very difficult to do -- you simply need to split the main event
>> loop (babeld.c) and hook it into the simulator code.  We'll be glad to
>> help you if you decide you're serious about the project.
>>
>> -- Juliusz
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> Ashvini Vyavhare

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb