[Babel-users] degradation of performance on multi-hop wireless networks

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:02:14 UTC 2015

Dear Henning:

If you and your institute would like to participate in the
make-wifi-fast project, we intend to look VERY hard at minstrel and at
minstrel-blues in the upcoming months and could use all the help we
can get/exchange.

Please talk with me and jg off list about it. (and/or are you going to ietf?)

In the meantime I have some patches on top of minstrel blues that are
pretty interesting, under test, if you want to try them also.

queued up for make-wifi-fast is everything on pp 25- here:

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/ieee802.11-sept-17-2014/11-14-1265-00-0wng-More-on-Bufferbloat.pdf

and a bit more.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Henning Rogge <hrogge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> there were several papers on this subject, none of which I can find
>> this morning. Could have sworn Juliusz's team was author of one
>> (related to diversity routing) with theoretical analysis, and then
>> there was one with actual measured performance....
>
> If you find them I would be interested in links to them.

The best of the bunch I found so far this morning was:

http://hph16.uwaterloo.ca/~bshihada/publications/buffer-AMPDU.pdf

I read this one a while back but can't remember my conclusion, and ENOTIME now:

http://home.deib.polimi.it/capone/papers/INFOCOM2015.pdf

but I SWEAR there was one on diversity routing (maybe from the batman
folk) and a couple others.

> We (our institute) have been seeing quite strange behavior of the
> Minstrel Rate Control Algorithm in our measurements... I worry that

So have we!  it's a pretty good algorithm for 2006... kind of needs
updating and a fresh look in modern environments.

> the algorithm has to be "tuned" a bit more to be useful in mesh
> networks.

I think it is in dire need of tuning across all sorts of wifi
networks, particularly the increasingly dense AP/station distributions
we are seeing.

> Henning Rogge

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb