[Babel-users] Verify ETX route metric

Jehan Tremback jehan.tremback at gmail.com
Tue May 24 02:28:29 UTC 2016

We are trying to mitigate one of the issues described in RFC6126:

> As defined in this document, Babel is a completely insecure protocol. Any
attacker can attract data traffic by advertising routes with a low metric.

We're concerned about this mostly because a node could advertise a low
metric, attract traffic, and then charge for it. One avenue we've thought
about is to run the link cost calculation end to end across the entire
route to a given destination. This could give a "second opinion" of what
the metric to that destination should be. This could be used as a way to
detect nodes that are cheating.

For example:

if

then

A performs the link cost calculation between herself and D to find out if B
or C are cheating. Have you thought about this at all? What's your opinion?

-Jehan