[Babel-users] babel export routes from bird to routing table?

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.net
Mon Nov 21 08:05:21 UTC 2016

Hi Juliusz,

Thank you very much for your response.

>> * I am aware that babel 1.8 is not stable yet.
>
>It's stable -- I just need to take the time to do a release.
Great to hear! :) I have not seen any weird behavior in my tests with
a small amount of nodes.

> > As Babel 1.8 will be incompatible to 1.7

>Babeld 1.8 will be fully compatible with 1.7. It's babeld 1.9 which
>will change the source-specific routing extension, and that extension
>only.  If you're not using source-specific routing (SADR), you won't
>see any incompatibilities.
This is also great to hear, I took this from the changelog that is
mentioning incompatible changes.

> > So babel actually is placing a route in table 10 but not the default
> > route that bird has placed in table 12. How would I achieve that?

>I think there's a misunderstanding. Babeld will not copy routes from
>import-table into export-table. It will:

> - announce routes found in export-table over the Babel protocol; -
> install any routes learned over the Babel protocol into import-table.

>If there's an unfiltered default route in table 12 (your import-table),
>it will be announced to neighbouring nodes, and will prevent babeld
>from learning any default routes (since redistributed routes take
>priority over routes being learned).

>The solution to your problem is to use both tables when forwarding
>packets, something like:

> ip rule add prio 10 from all lookup 10
> ip rule add prio 11 from all lookup 11
> ip rule add prio 12 from all lookup 12

>If you really need the routes to be copied between the tables, please
>let us know why, and we'll see if it's really a needed feature.

Thank you, this solution works. At a later stage I would like to
announce different default-routes at different places in the mesh
network. It seems to me like I might be better off not using table 12 as
an import-route so any static default routes on the gateway-side will
not interfere with whatever babeld is announcing. What do you think?

Christof

/\  against proprietary attachments