[Babel-users] preferred source address vs babel

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Jul 6 10:19:03 BST 2018

> For multi-homed devices it would be interesting being able to specify
> a preferred source address for routes exported via babel. If the preferred
> src address is not specified, the kernel will select the src address and
> thus will leak ipv6 addresses into a network where they are foreign.

The kernel will normally select an address that is assigned to the
outgoing interface.  Why is this mechanism not enough for your needs?

> This should be configurable and could be static for one babeld instance.
> Before going ahead and patching this into kernel_netlink.c (around line
> 1053 I think) I would like to get some feedback on the idea.

I have no objection (and I'd be glad to apply a well-written patch that
does that), but I don't think this should be necessary.  Could you please
explain exactly why you need this feature?