[Babel-users] Plans for incompatible changes

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Jul 6 10:21:30 BST 2018

>> [babel 1.9.0 will introduce incompatible wire-format for src-specific
>> routing]

> If I am building a network now that utilises source-specific routing, how
> can I best prepare for a migration path?

Make sure you run 1.8.2 or later, not an earlier version.  Deploy your
network with no fear.

When the new source-specific code is published, you'll be able to run both
versions in the same network, although your network might partition before
you upgrade all your routers.

> Can both versions be run simultaneously?

Not on a single node.  You can run both versions in the same network, but
they won't exchange any source-speicific routes.

> Should I stop building this network now and instead switch to some
> experimental branch that already contains the new wire-format?

I've been very busy, so I haven't published a branch with the new
source-specific code yet.  I'll do my best to get it done soon, but I've
still got a huge stack of exams to do.