[Babel-users] preferred source address vs babel

StarBrilliant coder at poorlab.com
Fri Jul 6 23:06:06 BST 2018

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into this problem for months.

I found that Linux kernel have difficulty determining source address for an
icmp-ttl-exceeded packet if SADR is used.

Sometimes it will return the primary address as if SADR route does not
exist; sometimes it will just seallow the reply packet, showing as a "???"
in the traceroute.

In some rare random situation a machine with two routes like "default from
2001.../48" would report "no route to host" when you want to connect from
it to some random (not all) hosts in the Internet, although the machine
routes packets from others correctly.

I found that icmp_errors_use_inbound_ifaddr does not work for IPv6, and
have been trying to port that option to IPv6. I am not sure if it can fix
the traceroute problem. But I am currently suspending this work, hopefully
someone else is interested in it.

I agree that we need such an option. That's simply because Linux kernel is
buggy.

(P.S. I typed this letter on my phone. Please forgive me if the layout is
messy.)