[Babel-users] Fastest convergence possible

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sun Mar 25 23:58:58 UTC 2018

> Presently, I'm starting my babeld instances in 2.1 seconds intervals and
> then wait 25 seconds for convergence.

That's not what Babel is optimised for.

Babel is built around the assumption that links are unstable.  A Babel
node keeps a fair amount of state so it can reroute quickly in the case of
a link failure.

When you reboot a Babel node, it has no state, and therefore needs to
rebuild all of its state from scratch.  You will see that if you run
a Babel network then start breaking your tunnels -- babeld should reroute
around failure within milliseconds (after the failure is detected).  The
same should happen

I believe that this is representative of real-world use cases.  If you
want to be rebooting your whole network often, they perhaps Babel is not
the right tool for the job.